Rec cred: Donna Hay
Pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
125g butter (softened)
½ cup castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg yolk
100g dark chocolate (melted & cooled slightly)
1 cup flour (sifted)
¼ cup cocoa (sifted)
¾ cup store-bought thick caramel OR dulce de leche
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
3. Add the vanilla, egg yolk and chocolate and beat until combined.
4. Add the flour and mix until combined and mixture forms a ball.
5. Place the mixture in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm.
6. Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls and place on 2 large baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper.
7. Use your thumb to press an indent into the centre of each.
8. Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until dry and cooked.
9. Allow to cool slightly on the trays before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
10. Using a spoon, divide the caramel between cookies to serve.
Note: Depends on how big you make cookies. I made them smaller so ended up with more.
I beat caramel treat till smooth. Placed in piping bag and piped caramel into baked biscuits.
In hotter days, does not keep for many days.
Stays well in fridge.