• 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 250ml (1 cup) milk
• 60ml (¼ cup) vegetable oil
• 60g butter, melted
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1 packet (10ml/2 teaspoons) instant yeast
• 60ml (¼ cup) sugar
• 5 x 250ml (5 cups) flour
• 5ml ( 1 teaspoon) salt
• 7ml (1 ½ teaspoons) ground cinnamon
• 5ml (1 teaspoons) ground ginger
• 2ml (½ teaspoon) ground cloves
• 5ml (1 teaspoon) ground naartjie peel
• 2ml (½ teaspoon) ground cardamom
• 5ml (1 teaspoon) whole aniseed
• Vegetable oil for deep frying
• 250ml (1 cup) water
• 250ml (1 cup) sugar
• 2 green cardamom pods
• 1 stick cassia, or cinnamon
• Desiccated coconut, for sprinkling over
• Boil the potatoes in water until sift.
• Drain and mash roughly.
• Add the milk, 60ml (¼ cup) vegetable oil,
butter and egg.
• Mash well making sure there are absolutely
• Place the yeast, sugar, flour, salt and
all the spices in a large mixing bowl.
• Add the mashed potato mixture and mix
to form a smooth dough.
• Cover the dough with cling wrap and leave
in a warm place to rise until doubled in
volume (about 1 hour).
• Knock down the dough and turn out onto a
• Form into oblong shapes (60mm x 25mm
½ inch x 1 inch) and allow to rise for 15
• Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
• Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on
kitchen paper towel.
To make The Syrup:
• Place all the ingredients for the syrup in
a saucepan and bring to the boil.
• Stir over low heat until syrup forms a
film on the spoon.
• Dip the koeksisters in the hot syrup.
• Sprinkle with coconut on all sides.
INFO / TIPS