Recipe credit: Ruhana Ebrahim
Picture credit: @mama_taught_me_well
1 onion (sliced),
1kg mutton curry pieces,
4 medium potatoes (quartered),
2 large tomatoes (liquidized),
3 tablespoon lemon juice,
1 teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon chilli powder,
¼ teaspoon arad (Turmeric),
1 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin),
¾ tablespoon red ginger garlic masala,
Tajj and Elachi (cardomom),
1 cup broad beans,
1 cup double beans,
1 cup gadra (lima) beans,
1 cup french sliced green beans,
3 large carrots (julienned),
3 medium beetroot (quartered),
½ cup frozen peas.
1. Braise onion in oil with tajj and Elachi (cardomom) till golden.
2. Peel and wash beetroot, cut and boil till a knife easily skewers it but is still firm.
3. Separately mix meat, spices and sour milk.
4. Remove meat from marinade and add to onions on high heat and seal meat.
5. Drop to medium heat, add in sour milk marinade and cook.
6. Whilst meat is cooking, boil beans separately (except green beans), cooked but firm.
7. When meat is tender, add veggies in stages. Firstly remove tajj and Elachi (cardomom), then add beans and carrots.
8. When green beans are cooked halfway, add beetroot and cook till soft.
9. Fry quartered potatoes until golden on outside and fluffy on inside.
10. Add fried potatoes and washed peas to pot and cook till peas are cooked through. (May add water to make a little gravy if do not like stew dry).
11. Best served with soft white bread.