DBN STYLE MUTTON BIRYANI
recipe credit: Ruhana Ebrahim
Picture credit: @mama_taught_me_well
•ghee (Clarified butter) and butter.
•Boil 4 cups rice (with 1 teaspoon rough salt),
•Boil 2 1⁄2 cups Masoor (Back lentils) (with 1 teaspoon rough salt + ¼ teaspoon arad (Turmeric).)
•6 Boiled eggs.
•Fry 4 small onions (leave handful aside).
•Fry 4 potatoes (in halves, mix with yellow colouring to give golden colour).
•Cut 2 potatoes (flat slices -unfried).
•2 kg big mutton curry pieces.
•500ml box sourmilk,
•3 tomatoes (liquidized),
•fresh green dhania (coriander) (chopped),
•Crushed fried onions (from above),
•2 pcs Tajj,
•3 Elachi (cardomom) pods,
•good pinch saffron strands and few drops saffron essence,
•2 teaspoon rough Salt,
•2 teaspoon chilli powder,
•1 teaspoon rough red chillies,
•2 tablespoon Ginger garlic masala,
•1 tablespoon green masala,
•2 teaspoon Dhana Jeeru (Cumin),
•2 teaspoon whole Jeeru (Cumin),
•¼ cup Lemon juice,
•2 tablespoon white vinegar,
•4 Whole green chillies (cut longwards).
1. Add mutton into above mixture.
2. in a deep pot, pour some ghee (Clarified butter), and set unfried potato slices at bottom.
3. take a handful or rice and sprinkle ontop of slices.
4. place marinated pieces of mutton down, leaving sourmilk mix aside.
5. mix in Masoor (Back lentils) in sourmilk mix.
6. place fried potato halves ontop of mutton, then pour ontop Masoor (Back lentils).
7. place ontop boiled rice and push in boiled eggs in rice.
8. in a pan, mix saffron, with few drops saffron essence and little water. Heat through.
9. cut up cubes of butter and place ontop of rice.
10. sprinkle handful of crushed onions ontop.
11. pour saffron water over top of rice.
12. cook in oven on moderate heat, covered, till all liquid has cooked through.
13. Place back in oven and cover and allow to steam again for 5min.
14. Without opening pot, place in rice cushions and tie up tight. This will ensure that the mutton cooks through and the rice does not dry out. Leave for 2-3 hours.
15. Serve with dhai and papar.