1 ready roll puff butter pastry, defrosted (Woolworths)
¼ cup flour to dust & roll
1 cup milk
3 tablespoon cornflour
1 teaspoon custard powder
½ cup sugar
6 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 variety of freshly cut/ chopped fruit
1 tablespoon Apricot jam, melted in microwave together with 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. If you're using the Woolworths butter pastry roll, unroll the pastry dough from the plastic liner & roll it up again onto a swissroll. If you're using your own pastry, roll out flat into a large square & then roll into a swissroll.
2. Cut equal thin slices 1cm from the roll enough to make 12. Freeze the rest of your dough.
3. Dust the dough with flour & roll into a round shape about 8cm in size.
4. Place each rounded pastry into a sprayed/lined muffin pan. This recipe makes 12 large size cups.
5. Set the oven to 170'C.
1. Combine the milk, cornflour, sugar & vanilla essence in a saucepan & heat on medium.
2. In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks.
3. Once the mixture is hot take one cup & carefully pour into the egg yolk & whisk. Then add the entire egg yolk mix into the milk mix.
4. Continue to stir until thickened into custard.
5. Remove from heat & continue to stir until warm to avoid lumping.
6. Spoon the custard into the pastry shells equally & bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the pastry has browned. The custard will puff up but will sink again so don't worry.
7. Switch the oven setting to grill & carefully grill the custard tarts, keep door ajar & watch them to prevent burning.
8. Remove the tarts & allow to cool.
9. Place on a tray & garnish with mixed fruit as desired.
10. Glaze with melted apricot jam & drizzle with fresh passion fruit.
INFO / TIPS / CREDITS
This recipe is scrumptious & perfect for a high tea afternoon or if you feeling like a perk me up. The combination of zesty fruit & custard is just heart warming & irresistably refreshing. If you simply cannot resist, this recipe can be easily doubled too! Ooh La La!