Chicken Stew (Dry)
Recipe credit: Ruhana Ebrahim
Picture credit: @mama_taught_me_well
1 large onion (sliced),
1kg chicen fillet/pieces,
4 medium potatoes (quartered),
2 large tomatoes (liquidized),
3 tablespoon lemon juice,
1 ½ - 2 teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon chilli powder,
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder,
1 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder,
¾ tablespoon red ginger garlic masala,
2 pieces taj (cinnamon sticks)
3 Elachi (cardomom) pods (cardamom),
1 cup double beans,
1 cup gadra (lima) beans,
100g - 200g french sliced green beans,
3 large carrots (cut in batons),
3 medium beetroot (quartered),
1 cup frozen peas.
1. Boil all beans separately, till cooked and tender. Note, only bring double beans to boil, then remove from heat and drain from water.
2. Peel and wash beetroot, cut and boil till a knife easily skewers it but is still firm.
3. Separately marinate chicken in masala, spices, tomatoes and sour milk.
4. Braise onion in oil with taj and Elachi (cardomom) till golden.
5. Remove chicken from marinade and add to onions on high heat and seal.
6. Drop to medium heat, remove taj and Elachi (cardomom), add in sour milk marinade and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Add all beans, peas and carrots to pot.
8. Fry quartered potatoes until golden on outside and fluffy on inside.
9. When liquid in pot has reduced by half, add beetroot and potatoes and cook till no liquid remains.
10. May add water/ more sourmilk to make a little gravy if do not like stew dry.
11. Best served with soft white bread/ naan or roti.
Note: may add indian veg "drumsticks", broad beans or other veg of choice.
12 Sep 2017
WOULD YOU LIKE TO
Food Author of "Oh My Cupcakes!"
Mum and wife.
(Another 2 books on the way Insha Allah!)
Joined 5 years ago