Recipe cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
1 large onion (sliced),
1 kg mutton curry pieces,
1 teaspoon whole Jeeru (Cumin) (cumin) seeds,
2 pieces tajj (cinnamon)
3 Elachi (cardomom) (cardamom) pods,
3 lavang (cloves),
2 star anise,
3 whole peppercorns,
¼ teaspoon arad (Turmeric) (Turmeric),
1 ½ teaspoon salt,
2 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder,
½ teaspoon white pepper,
2 teaspoon chilli powder,
1 tablespoon red ginger garlic masala,
1 tablespoon lemon juice,
2 tablespoon brown vinegar,
2 teaspoon mustard powder,
2 large liquidized tomatoes,
4 quartered fried potatoes,
1 cup frozen peas,
2 large carrots (cut in batons),
Fist chopped coriander,
1 liter box sourmilk,
2 cups basmati rice,
Green chutney (to taste).
1. In a pot braise onions in oil with whole spices.
2. Add mutton and braise with powder spices, masala, mustard powder, vinegar and lemon juice. Coat well.
3. Cook until mutton is almost tender & water has burnt out (with as much as water as needed to cook), then add tomato forming a gravy.
4. Add fried potatoes, peas, carrots and half of the sourmilk and cover with lid allowing to come to a boil.
5. Rinse rice and then add into boiling sourmilk mix.
6. Stir pot twice inbetween whilst rice is cooking on medium heat, when liquid is 3⁄4 way reduced drop to low heat and steam.
7. Make dhai with remaining sourmilk by mixing in salt & green chutney (stamped green chillies & dhania (coriander)).
8. Fry papar, and serve with salad and dhai on hot steamed rice.
20 Oct 2017
WOULD YOU LIKE TO
Food Author of "Oh My Cupcakes!"
Mum and wife.
(Another 2 books on the way Insha Allah!)
Joined 5 years ago