Rec cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
6-8 medium slices white fish
2 cups basmati rice
4 cups water
1 cup Masoor (Back lentils) (brown lentils)
4 onions (sliced)
3 large potatoes
1 cup sourmilk,
2 large tomatoes (liquidized),
fresh green dhania (coriander) (chopped),
Half of fried onions (crushed),
2 pcs Taj (cinnamon sticks),
3 Elachi (cardomom) pods,
3 lavang (cloves),
1 star anise,
Good pinch saffron strands,
Few drops saffron essence,
1 ½ teaspoon rough Salt,
2 teaspoon chilli powder,
1 teaspoon rough red chillies,
2 tablespoon fish masala,
2 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder,
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder,
1 teaspoon whole Jeeru (Cumin),
¼ cup Lemon juice,
1 tablespoon white vinegar,
2-4 Whole green chillies (cut longwards).
ghee (Clarified butter)
Fresh mint (chopped)
1. Marinate fish and flash fry (on high heat) on either side and leave aside.
2. Boil rice on med-high heat with 4 cups water and ¼ teaspoon rough salt. Leave aside. (Rice should be cooked but firm).
3. Boil Masoor (Back lentils), covering lentils with water, ¼ teaspoon rough salt and pinch turmeric powder. Boil till cooked but firm to touch.
4. Slice 2 large potatoes into 6 pieces each.
5. Slice 1 large potato into flat pieces.
6. Color both potatoes with few drops egg yellow coloring.
7. Fry potatoes separately till done. Fry flat pieces only half way. Leave both aside.
8. Slice onions and fry till golden. Remove from oil. Leave aside.
9. Mix all marinade ingredients together.
10. Strain the oil used to fry fish and onions, add another 2 tablespoon oil.
11. In a flat heavy based pot, pour the oil to bottom.
12. Place down flat pieces of potatoes.
13. Sprinkle 2 tablespoon rice and 2 tablespoon Masoor (Back lentils).
14. Dip the slices of fried fish in the marinade and set over potatoes.
15. Mix the Masoor (Back lentils) in remainder marinade and spread evenly over fish.
16. Push the potato pieces inbetween Masoor (Back lentils).
17. Spoon the rice evenly over Masoor (Back lentils).
18. Pour over 2 tablespoon melted ghee (Clarified butter).
19. Sprinkle over remainder of fried onions and chopped fresh mint.
20. In a pan heat some saffron threads with ¼ cup water and few drops saffron essence.
21. Pour over rice.
22. Cover with foil and steam on stove on medium heat for 30 minutes.
23. Preheat oven to 200degC.
24. Place in oven for further 30 minutes.
25. Serve with raita or dhai, salads and papadums.
Note: You may use boiled eggs if you wish. Push between rice.
You may make your own fish masala or use store bought masala.