Rec cred: Hajera Ebrahim (mum)
Pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim, @mama_taught_me_well
1 XL egg (beaten),
1 tin pilchards in tomato,
1 teaspoon fine salt,
1 teaspoon dhana jeeroo powder,
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder,
¼ teaspoon white pepper,
1 1⁄2 tablespoon green chillies garlic paste,
5 slices fresh white bread (ground),
Handful fresh coriander (finely chopped),
Handful fresh spring onions (chopped).
1. Debone the pilchards in a deep dish, leaving the excess tomato sauce aside.
2. Shred the fish with the back of a fork.
3. Add spices, chillies, spring onions and coriander.
4. Crumb slices of bread in a coffee grinder. Add to fish.
5. Bind with beaten egg. If too wet, add another slice of bread. If too dry, add tomato sauce from pilchards.
6. Form small flat patties when consistency is correct.
7. The cutlet must not be loose or will fall apart when frying.
8. Fry cutlets in shallow oil on a medium heat allowing it to cook through.
9. Drain on kitchen paper.
10. Serve hot with lemon or savoury dip of choice.