Lemon, Blueberry, Coconut Cake
Rec cred: @shakerahmoosa
Pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim, @mama_taught_me_well
4 large eggs
1 cup castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
¼ teaspoon almond essence
½ cup vegetable oil
Juice of two lemons (4 tablespoon)
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon (3 teaspoon)
2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarb. of soda
½ teaspoon fine salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
¾ cup dessicated coconut
½ cup sour cream
½ cup milk
1 cup blueberries, plus few extra for decorating
Cream Cheese Frosting:
½ teaspoon lemon essence
500g icing sugar
250g cream cheese or Lancewood smooth plain cottage cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Grease 2 x 20cm round cake pans or any baking tin you like.
3. Mix milk and sour cream in small bowl and set aside.
4. Whisk lemon rind, flour, baking powder, bicarb soda, fine salt, cinnamon powder and dessicated coconut together in a medium sized bowl.
5. Beat on high speed eggs, castor sugar, almond essence and vanilla essence till pale and frothy. (About 3 minutes)
6. Beat in oil till well combined.
7. Beat in lemon juice.
8. On low speed add ⅓ flour and little milk and beat till just combined.
9. Add another ⅓ flour and little milk and beat till just combined.
10. Finally add last ⅓ flour and milk and beat till just combined. Do not overmix.
11. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.
12. Beat together butter, icing sugar and lemon essence for frosting.
13. Fold in cream cheese or cottage cheese lightly. Do not overmix.
14. Spread cream cheese icing.
15. Decorate with extra blueberries and lemon rind.
I used only ½ cup coconut in cake and sprinkled ¼ cup coconut over the top before baking.
I used left over mascarpone frosting than cream cheese frosting.
Be ready with pans and oven. Once pour lemon juice in batter, it starts to froth with bicarb. Place in oven as quick as possible.
I didn't add the cinnamon powder and almond essence.