125g baking margarine
3⁄4 cup castor sugar
Pinch of salt
3 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
Few drops lemon essence
2 teaspoon poppy seeds
1. Beat margarine and sugar till fluffy.
2. Add eggs, beat in one at a time.
3. Sift flour and baking powder.
4. Add alternatively with milk till smooth batter.
5. Add essence and poppy seeds and mix in.
6. Spoon into cupcake liners till 3⁄4 full.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180degC for 15-20min till lightly golden and cooked through.
8. Leave to cool, then sift over icing sugar if desired.
This is a firmish cake.
You can use fresh lemon juice and lemon zest if you do not want to use essence.