3-4 large onions
1 cup flour
2 tablespoon maizena (corn flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoon fish spice
1 cup chilled soda water
1. Peel and rinse onions.
2. Cut into rings.
3. Place ice into a flat dish.
4. Place flour, spice, salt, baking powder into a mixing dish. Mix with fork.
5. Beat egg and add to flour. Do not mix in.
6. Place mixing dish onto ice.
7. Add in soda water, now mix with a fork until just mixed.
8. Do not mix the batter until smooth. There will be lumps. That is how tempura batter should be.
9. Dip onion rings into batter and place in preheated deep fryer at 200degC and cook until lightly golden.
10. Fry onion rings in batches so it does not all clump up together.
Note: The batter will be light and crispy if done right.