Rec cred: ruhana ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
Note: this makes +/- 3dzn balls. The batter is only to cover 1 dzn.
500g mutton/ beef mince
1 tablespoon Oil
1 tablespoon ground green chillies
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dhana jeeroo powder
Pinch turmeric powder
dhania (coriander) (chopped)
1 cup chana dhal (soaked)
1 ¼ cups flour,
1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder,
1 ¼ tablespoon oil
½ teaspoon salt
Water as needed.
1. Boil dhal with pinch salt and pinch turmeric till tender. Drain and leave aside.
2. Cook mince in oil, chillies and spices till dry.
3. Mix mince, dhania (coriander) and dhal together and form golf ball sized balls.
4. Place in freezer to harden. Also now freezer suitable.
5. Heat oil in a deep pot.
6. Make a batter with water as needed, adding baking powder just before frying.
7. Dip balls in batter and deep fry on medium heat until puffed, golden and cooked through.
8. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with chutney/lemon juice.