Mutton Mince Pilau (mince Biryani)
Recipe credit: Ruhana Ebrahim
Picture credit: @mama_taught_me_well
•1kg mutton mince (washed & drained)
•2 large onions (sliced)
•2 teaspoon whole Jeeru (Cumin)
•2 taj (cinnamon sticks)
•3 Elachi (cardomom) pods
•3 large tomatoes (liquidized)
•½-1 tablespoon red ginger garlic masala
•1 teaspoon chilli powder
•2 ½ teaspoon rough salt
•¼ teaspoon turmeric
•2 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin)
•1 tablespoon brown vinegar
•1 teaspoon mustard powder
•1 liter sour milk
•few saffron threads
•1 ½ cups frozen peas
•3 large potatoes (cut into big cubes, colored in egg yellow food coloring & fried) and 2 large potatoes cut into discs (fried)
•2-3 cups basmati rice
ghee (Clarified butter) is needed
1. In a deep pot, braise 1 onion in oil with 1 teaspoon Jeeru (Cumin) until translucent for rice.
2. Add 4-6 cups water to pot and cover and allow to come to a boil.
3. Add rinsed rice to pot with 1 teaspoon rough salt and allow to cook on medium heat till no water remains. Spoon rice into a dish and leave aside.
4. In same deep pot, pour some ghee (Clarified butter), place potato discs. Leave aside.
5. In another pot, braise the other onion in oil with taj, Jeeru (Cumin), cloves, Elachi (cardomom) and peppercorns until golden. Remove a little onion and reserve for later.
6. Add masala and spices and braise till fragrant.
7. Add mince, vinegar and mustard powder and cook till water burns out.
8. Add tomatoes, 500ml sourmilk, saffron and peas and cook till water has burnt out but mince remains quite moist.
9. Add in fried potatoes and ½ cup boiled rice, mix together. Spoon mince over disc potatoes in deep pot.
10. Spoon remainder of rice onto mince. Place reserved onions on rice and pour a little ghee (Clarified butter) over rice.
11. Mix some saffron threads with 1⁄2 cup water on the stove for a minute, then pour over rice. Close pot and allow biryani to steam together on low.
12. Serve with dhai (made with remainder sourmilk, pinch salt, green chutney) and fried papar.