1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease two deep 22cm round cake pans;
line bases and sides with baking paper.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs in beat in. Sift in flour and buttermilk alternately. Add in colouring and rose water, mix in.
3. Combine vinegar and bicarb, allow to fizz, then fold into cake mixture. Divide mixture between pans.
4. Bake cakes about 30 minutes. Stand cakes for few minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.
5. Beat cream cheese until smooth, then add in sugar and remainder ingredients and beat until smooth. in a small bowl with electric mixer until smooth.
6. Sandwich cakes with frosting and frost over top and sides of cake.