Chanani Dhal & Ghos
Rec cred: ruhana ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
1 onion (sliced)
2 pc taj
3 Elachi (cardomom) pods
Pinch Jeeru (Cumin) seeds
2 tablespoon oil
1 1⁄2 cups chana dhal (soaked for 4 hrs)
500g mutton curry pieces (soaked and excess fat trimmed)
1 tablespoon red ginger garlic paste
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch turmeric powder
1 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder
1 tablespoon brown vinegar
2 teaspoon mustard powder
2 large tomatoes (liquidized)
Water as needed.
1. Braise onion with whole spices and oil until lightly golden.
2. Add masala and spices and braise till fragrant.
3. Add mutton, mustard powder and vinegar and coat well.
4. Cook until mutton water has burnt out.
5. Add tomatoes and dhal. Cook till tomato reduces, then add water as needed to cook mutton tender and dhal soft. (Do not over cook dhal that it becomes mushy).
6. Cook till curry reaches desired consistency. Some people like it soupy, some like it drier. Eat with bread/ roti.